Vietnamese Driving license
It is a matter of fact that, once you decide to move or stay longer in Vietnam, obtaining a driving license is one of the important things to do. It is advisable that you need to have your own vehicle, and of course it is a legitimate thing to do. Besides, driving without a license, your health insurance might not be usable if you happen to have an accident.
The driving test for foreigners living in Vietnam.
The subject requirement is quite simple. Any foreigners who are over 18 years of age and currently living, working or studying in Vietnam with more than 3 months period are allowed to participate in taking the test for Vietnamese driving license.
The documents need submitting for the Vietnamese driving test:
- Copy of passport and visa with more than 3 months length of stay.
- Application form for study and test for driver’s license (provided at the Department of Transportation)
- Health certificate issued by a competent medical establishment according to regulations. (office examination upon registering location)
- Four 3×4 photos with blue background.
The Vietnamese driving test is not that complicated, however it requires the test takers that they need to understand Vietnamese language because the national exam theory exams at all grades are in Vietnamese. Foreign driving test attendance takes the same test program with Vietnamese people, the theory test is on a computer with 25 questions. If you answer 21 questions correctly, you will pass the test. The practice part is for a manual or hand taper vehicle.
Foreigners can contact any of the Department’s driver training institutions they trust or are recommended to apply for admission and take the Vietnamese driving test. The fee for issuing a license for a foreigner is similar to that of a domestic person:
- Theory exam:
+ Two-wheel motorcycle license: 40,000 VND per exam
+ Car license: 90,000 VND per exam
- Practicing test:
+ Two-wheel motorcycle license: 50,000 VND per exam
+ Car license: 300,000 VND per exam
Converting your foreign driving license into a Vietnamese one.
If you already own a driving license before living in Vietnam, you can absolutely convert it to an equivalent driver’s license in Vietnam.
These conditions and procedures are as follows:
- Foreigners who have resided, worked or studied in Vietnam for 3 months or more;
- The foreign driver’s license still contains all the necessary elements: The validity period, the class of the vehicle allowed to drive, has no signs of erasure or tear, no difference in identity;
- Do not change foreign temporary driving licenses, international driving licenses.
The term of use of Vietnamese driving licenses exchanged for foreigners must:
- In accordance with the period indicated on the entry visa or temporary residence card
- Being consistent with the expiry date of the foreign driving license but not exceeding the prescribed period of the Vietnamese driving license;
Procedures for changing driving licenses for foreigners:
- An application for changing a driver’s license according to the set form (a form used for foreigners);
- Translations of driving licenses abroad to Vietnamese with insured translation quality of notary offices or embassies, consulates in Vietnam which translators work and seal affixed to the copy license vehicle;
- Copy of passport (including part of passport number, full name and photo of issued person, expiry date and page of visa to enter Vietnam);
- A copy of one of the following documents: residence card, residence card, temporary residence card, permanent residence card, document certifying permanent residence in Vietnam.
There are 4 Department of Transportation that you can come in person to get a driving license:
- Hue – 10 Phan Boi Chau, Vinh Ninh, Hue
- Da Nang – 24 Duong Tran Phu, Thach Thang, Hai Chau
- Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) – 63 Ly Tu Trong, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Hanoi – 2 Duong Phung Hung, Van Quan, Ha Dong, Ha Noi or 16 Cao Ba Quat Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi